The second scrimmage of Wake Forest’s fall camp looked much like the first one as far as the quarterback battle between Jamie Newman and Sam Hartman, until Mother Nature took over.

Both inexperienced quarterbacks played solid Saturday afternoon before a storm rolled into the area and cut short the Deacons’ practice. It’s the end of live work this month for Coach Dave Clawson and his team, which has its Aug. 30 opener at Tulane fast approaching.

Clawson mostly deferred to studying film of Newman and Hartman until later Saturday to determine which, if either one of them, stood out. Newman, a redshirt sophomore, was 10 for 14 for 131 yards and two touchdowns. Hartman, a freshman, was 14 for 25 for 96 yards and rushed for 21 yards.

“I’ll go back and watch the film,” Clawson said. “Certainly Sam had a great opening drive, the first drive the first offense goes right down, scores points. But then Jamie had a drive, he went in there and hit Steven Claude for a touchdown. So they both did good things.”

Hartman led the first drive, and it went 77 yards in 10 plays, ending on Matt Colburn II’s 4-yard touchdown. On that drive, Hartman was 4 for 5 for 27 yards, completing two passes each to Jack Freudenthal and Sage Surratt. The second to Freudenthal was on third-and-6, with the redshirt junior tight end who’s Cam Serigne’s replacement stretching for the first down with his second effort.

Newman’s touchdown to Claude came on the first play of his second possession. He fired over the middle to Claude, who caught it and turned up field, made one move on a safety and turned on the jets to beat the rest of the defensive backs to the end zone.

Later in the day, both quarterbacks were given an overtime possession. Starting 25 yards from the end zone, Hartman’s possession saw him reach the 10 in two plays, including a 10-yard run on a keeper, before it stalled at the 7-yard line. On third-and-goal, Hartman nearly connected with Jaquarii Roberson for a spectacular back-of-the-end-zone catch, but the redshirt freshman receiver didn’t get a foot down.

Freshman kicker Nick Sciba made a 25-yard field goal, part of his 3-for-3 day on field goal attempts, including a 48-yarder later.

Newman’s overtime possession didn’t last long. On the second play, he fired to Roberson in the middle of the field, and Roberson — like Claude — only needed to make one move and then race into the end zone.

That was the final play the Deacons ran for 24 minutes, as lightning in the area forced the stadium to be cleared. Players came back onto the field, went through stretches again, ran nine more plays — all with Hartman at quarterback — and then ended the scrimmage because of another lightning strike.

Clawson’s plan of additional situational work was nixed by the storm that blew into the area.

“We had more planned. We got the overtime. I wanted to get a four-minute (drill), we didn’t get that in. We’ll have to get that worked in in practice,” Clawson said.

Newman’s day appeared to be cut short anyway. When players came back onto the field, he was on a trainer’s table with his pads off and had a groin injury.

“He kind of tweaked a groin, we just wanted to be precautionary about it. I don’t think it was anything serious,” Clawson said. “Any time you have anything soft tissue ... we’re going to err on being cautious.”

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily morning newsletter. @ConorONeillWSJ

Recommended for you

Load comments