Utopian vision

They’re not selling pillows, but Leftist-Democratic politicians are hucksters nonetheless, peddling their latest utopian vision. Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez does his part, insisting that socialism is just grand, and has already succeeded in the U.S. He cites (1) Social Security, (2) free medical care and (3) minimum wage mandates as happy examples of socialist policy.

But, wait: (1) Social Security earns only 2.9% per year under government administration, while it could earn 7% per year if privatized; (2) free medical care sounds great, but in the U.K. it means 12-hour emergency room waits and several-month delays for surgery; (3) minimum-wage mandates always lead to job losses. If these are considered successes, one wonders how bad socialist failures will be.

Richard Merlo

Elkin

No choice

When the whistleblower document came to light — credible allegations of presidential misconduct — along with credible allegations that President Trump tried to suppress the record of his conversation with the Ukrainian president, only a partisan would think that the U.S. House should just ignore it. The House has a responsibility to the American people to look into the serious allegations.

Conservatives say that Democrats want to investigate because they can’t get over the 2016 election. They say Democrats hate the president and are always looking for an excuse to impeach him.

So what? That doesn’t mean the president is innocent. The House has a responsibility to look into serious allegations.

President Trump is doing nothing to help his case. Threatening the whistleblower doesn’t help. His constant lies don’t help.

If I thought the police were trying to catch me speeding, I wouldn’t drive 50 mph in a 45 mph zone. A reasonable person would stay well below the speed limit.

Trump has had his foot to the pedal since he walked down that escalator bad-mouthing Mexicans. He’s been daring Democrats to impeach him since the election. He’ll push and push until someone finally stops him.

This time, they have no choice.

Steve Short

Winston-Salem

Shorter wait times

Do you want shorter wait times in emergency rooms (“Study: wait times are lengthy at Triad hospitals,” Sept. 22)? There is an easy answer. Contact your state representative and tell him or her to expand Medicaid.

We are all already paying the taxes for it, but that money all goes to states that did expand Medicaid. Those taxes then pay for 90% of Medicaid. The other 10% has been pledged by hospitals.

Additional cost to North Carolina taxpayers: $0.

And contact your U.S. representatives about lowering the deductible for the ACA. Wait time solved! You may not think this is a big deal, but when you have a relative die because of a crowded ER, it is too late.

Victoria Weeke

Winston-Salem

Impeach him

On Sept. 28, President Trump tweeted:

“Can you imagine if these Do Nothing Democrat Savages, people like Nadler, Schiff, AOC Plus 3, and many more, had a Republican Party who would have done to Obama what the Do Nothings are doing to me. Oh well, maybe next time!”

More than 200 House Democrats support the impeachment process, but somehow Trump managed to pick out two Jews and four women of color to identify as “savages.”

Yes, he’s a racist and yes, he tried to enlist the Ukrainian president to get dirt on his political opponent. He needs to be impeached. He has betrayed his oath and his country in so many ways.

April Reaves

Winston-Salem

Please submit letters online, with full name, address and telephone number, to Letters@wsjournal.com or mail letters to: The Readers’ Forum, 418 N. Marshall St., Winston-Salem, NC 27101. Letters are subject to editing and are limited to 250 words. For more guidelines and advice on writing letters, go to journalnow.com/site/forms/online_services/letter/

Make sure you never miss our editorials, letters to the editor and columnists. We’ll deliver the Journal’s Opinion page straight to your inbox.

Load comments