Q: I’m 65 and looking for help with a simple tax return this season. I’d prefer not to use those online tax prep programs, and don’t have a lot of money to spend with a professional preparer. Is there anyone who can help me with a simple tax return?
Answer: Tax preparation can be confusing and intimidating for many people. Fortunately, there are places Forsyth County residents can turn to for help navigating tax season. One option you might consider is a tax preparation service being offered by AARP. Trained and certified AARP Tax Aide volunteers will assist in preparing and e-filing your 2018 Federal and State personal income tax returns. Everyone is welcome regardless of age or income. Some complicated tax returns might be beyond their scope of work, but people are seldom turned away.
The following documents are required for preparation:
- Picture ID for yourself, and if filing jointly, for your spouse as well. Social Security ID for yourself, your spouse, and any dependents. Both spouses must be present to sign a joint tax return. If available, please also bring 2017 taxes.
- Wage and income statements for 2018 including W-2s, 1099s, Social Security statements, and any other documents that reflect any earnings.
- 1095A forms documenting your health coverage if you purchased Marketplace (Affordable Care Act) Insurance — a return cannot be prepared without it.
- Evidence of deductible expenses such as charitable donations, mortgage interest, property taxes (including vehicle tax), sales tax on new vehicle purchases, medical and prescription costs, education costs for you or your dependent(s).
- If applicable, name, address and tax ID of child care providers for the Child Care Tax Credit.
- If applicable, income and expense details for a Schedule C business return. If you have a net loss, expenses over $25,000, employees or a depreciation expense, your return cannot be prepared.
- Voided check, if any refund is to be a direct deposit.
Service will be available from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. through April 15 on Mondays and Tuesdays at the Reynolda Branch Library, 2839 Fairlawn Drive and Thursdays and Fridays at the Southside Branch Library, 3185 Buchanan Street. No appointments will be taken and counselors will be available on a first come, first served basis. For more information visit aarpfoundation.org/taxhelp or call 1-888-AARPNOW (1-888-227-7669).
Q: I heard about an event called “Moving Day” that benefits persons with Parkinson’s disease. I was recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s and would like to know more about this event.
Answer: Moving Day Winston-Salem is an annual walk event to raise funds for the Parkinson’s Foundation. This year it will be held on April 27 at Bailey Park, in downtown Winston-Salem. Moving Day will kick off with registration at 9 a.m. and the walk will begin at 11:30 a.m.
The Parkinson’s Foundation has put together this “celebration of movement” to help raise awareness and funds to fight against Parkinson’s Disease, a degenerative disorder of the nervous system that generally affects the body’s motor system. The event will include a family friendly walk course, a kids area, a caregivers relaxation tent and a special Movement Pavilion featuring yoga, dance, Tai Chi, Pilates, etc. all proven to help manage the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease.
There will also be several drawings for prizes. If you choose to participate, you may want to have lunch downtown after the event. Several downtown restaurants have agreed to donate 25 percent of diner’s receipts to participant’s Moving Day Winston-Salem teams.
Residents are encouraged to take part in the walk by registering as individuals or in teams. Those who plan to form their own teams can even order customized team shirts. To register online for Moving Day, go to movingdaywinston-salem.org. Although, registration prior to the event is strongly encouraged, you may also register in person at the Registration Tent on walk day. There is no registration fee, however, all participants who raise at least $100 will receive an official 2019 Moving Day shirt.
Moving Day takes place rain or shine! Participants are encouraged to check the weather forecast and prepare accordingly. If conditions warrant any change, announcements will be made on the Moving Day website. For more information, or to register, visit movingdaywinstonsalem.org.