A fire Tuesday caused officials to evacuate Bolton Elementary School, the Winston-Salem Fire Department said Wednesday.

Firefighters responded to a call at Bolton Elementary, 1250 Bolton St., shortly after 2 p.m. and found a small fire on a table in an electrical room. Flames had melted a plastic vent in an exhaust fan in the ceiling and ignited paper towels that were stored on the table. The fire was put out using a dry chemical fire extinguisher.

The students had been evacuated to Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church, which is next door to the school, before the fire department arrived, Battalion Chief Leroy Davis said.

The fire was confined to the electrical room, and there was no smoke damage, according to a news release. The classrooms were monitored for carbon monoxide and were found to be safe. The damage, estimated to be about $2,800, was repaired by school maintenance workers.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily morning newsletter.

Recommended for you

Load comments