Bodies found in yard at Clemmons home

An SBI investigator examines the front door at 2749 Knob Hill Drive in Clemmons on Oct. 6, 2014. Pazuzu Algarad lived there with girlfriend Amber Burch. Both were charged with murder after two bodies were found buried in the backyard last year. Algarad was found dead in his cell Wednesday.

Pazuzu Algarad, an avowed Satanist accused of killing one of two men buried for five years in the backyard of a Clemmons house, died from severe blood loss from a deep wound to a major blood vessel in his left arm, an autospy report released Wednesday said.

The report said Algarad, who died Oct. 28 at Central Prison in Raleigh, was found in a pool of blood on a bed in his cell. Prison officials said he died of an apparent suicide and he was pronounced dead at 4:20 a.m., close to an hour and a half after prison officials discovered him.

Algarad, 36, had been charged with first-degree murder and accessory after the fact to first-degree murder. He and his girlfriend, Amber Nicole Burch, 25, were accused of fatally shooting and then burying Joshua Fredrick Wetzler and Tommy Dean Welch in 2009. Krystal Nicole Matlock, 29, has been charged with accessory after the fact to first-degree murder.

The autopsy report said Algarad had an incised wound on the upper part of his left arm, at the pit of his elbow. The report said Algarad had a perforation of the left brachial artery, a major blood vessel.

Algarad also had superficial incised wounds on his left chest, left arm and scalp. He also had rib fractures that came from prison officials trying to revive him, the autopsy report said.

The report, however, does not say how Algarad got the wound that ultimately killed him. And the report also did not say whether Algarad killed himself. Keith Acree, a spokesman for the N.C. Department of Public Safety, could not immediately answer questions by deadline. Chief Deputy Brad Stanley of Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office said he had not seen the autopsy report.

Questions to the N.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner were referred to Alexandra Lefebvre, a spokeswoman for the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services. She also could not immediately answer questions by deadline.

According to the autopsy report, medical examiners received several items that prison officials seized from Algarad’s cell. Those included an electric razor and a clear, unlabeled bottle filled with red fluid. Algarad also had filed his teeth into points.

Algarad also had a number of writings and tattoos on his body, including the number, “666,” “Lucifer,” “Villain,” and “Pazuzu.” He also had a black Nazi sign and a black dragon on his body, among other things, according to the autopsy report.

A year since pair arrested

Algarad’s death came a year after Forsyth County sheriff’s deputies discovered the skeletal remains of Welch and Wetzler in the backyard of the now-demolished house on Knob Hill Drive in Clemmons. Algarad lived in the house with Burch. Arrest warrants allege that Algarad killed Wetzler in July 2009 and that Burch helped Algarad bury the body. Matlock is also accused of helping to bury Wetzler.

The warrants also allege that Burch killed Welch in October 2009 and that Algarad helped Burch bury Welch.

According to autopsy reports, Welch was shot once in the head. Wetzler was shot at least seven times, including three times in the head.

Sheriff’s detectives have not said what connection, if any, Welch and Wetzler had with Algarad and Burch. Search warrants in the case have remained sealed.

Algarad had been in the Forsyth County Jail with no bond allowed, but he was transfered twice to Central Prison in Raleigh on a safe-keeping order. Acree with the N.C. Department of Public Safety said, in general, inmates are transferred on safe-keeping orders for three reasons — security, mental health disorders or medical conditions.

Algarad went to Raleigh the first time from December 2014 to mid-April. Then on May 13, he was sent back to Raleigh. He stayed at Central Prison until his death in October.

Pamela Walker, a spokeswoman for the N.C. Department of Public Safety, said the State Capital Police are still investigating. She has said Algarad was housed in general population, where prison officials conduct bed checks every hour, along with additional formal counts several times a day. Prison officials have not said whether Algarad was on any kind of suicide watch.

Stanley didn’t immediately know Wednesday whether Algarad had made any suicide attempts while he was at the Forsyth County jail.

Algarad’s mother had worried that her son might kill herself. In 2010, psychiatrists interviewed James while Algarad awaited trial on accessory after the fact to involuntary manslaughter. That was in connection to the June 2010 death of Joseph Emmrick Chandler, whose body was found near the Yadkin River. Algarad was eventually convicted of that charge.

Algarad told psychiatrists that he had practiced a Sumerian religion that involved the monthly sacrifice of a small animal. He said he would have to perform the ritual during what he called the “black moon” and had asked if he could leave so he could perform it.

James told psychiatrists that she was afraid her son might try to kill himself if he was not allowed to perform the “dark moon” sacrifice.

The cases against Burch and Matlock are still pending. They are scheduled to appear in Forsyth District Court on Jan. 21.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily morning newsletter. (336) 727-7326 @mhewlettWSJ

Recommended for you

Load comments