Winston-Salem, NC 27101
About a/perture cinema
a/perture cinema is an independent, locally-owned art house cinema in the heart of downtown Winston-Salem, North Carolina, "the City of Arts and Innovation." Screening a mix of independent, foreign, documentary, local, and festival films in two 80-seat theaters, one 45-seat screening room, and our newly added 25-seat alternative viewing space "petit a/", a/perture cinema is the community's home for film and the cultural dialogue it spurs.
In addition to the traditional freshly-popped popcorn, candy and Coca-Cola beverages, a/perture also offers a wide selection of beer and wine, healthy snacks and special treats made by local bakeries. Plenty of parking is available in the surrounding downtown area; both on street and in the Cherry/Marshall Parking Deck adjacent to the cinema (see our "downtown" tab for more details). a/perture brings back the intimate movie-going experience while showcasing films that enrich, educate and challenge us all.
Is this your business?
Promote your business through our innovative Marketplace system! It's free to sign up!
"I think this is a really neat place! You really don't see many locally owned movie theaters these days. As many have already said they have an awesome snack bar, from chocolate popcorn to beer, they have you covered! They play a variety of Indie Movies and documentaries. Sometimes they will… Read more
Please read the following before you purchase your tickets.
a/v society members - $6.50 (not available online)
Online ticketing is not available for films showing in petit a/.
The box office is open one hour before the first screening each day.
1. Tickets purchased online are subject to the same rules and regulations as regular tickets. The ticket is good only for the date and show time purchased.
2. Our theatres are general admission, so purchasing a ticket guarantees you a seat, but not your choice of seats. If you require your choice of seats or want to insure seating together with the others in your party you might want to arrive early.
3. If you are a Senior citizen over 60, a COLLEGE student with a college ID, a child 3-12, or are coming to a matinee show before 5pm you may select a discounted ticket on the ticket purchase page. PLEASE NOTE: The theatre staff will verify that you are eligible for the discount when you pick up your tickets at the theatre. College students MUST have a valid college ID for EACH discount ticket.
4. After you have purchased your tickets you should print out the confirmation page and bring that printout and the credit card you used to purchase the tickets to the theatre.
5. In general, there are NO REFUNDS FOR ONLINE TICKET SALES !!! Please make your purchase carefully.
BY CLICKING ON THE LINK BELOW YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU READ, UNDERSTAND, and AGREE WITH THE ABOVE.
Meet assistant manager Nate Loftin- he's been at a/perture since before we opened the doors. He's the one who knows the booth inside and out!
Meet manager Ismael Khatibu- the spoken word is his expertise and when he's not keeping things in order at a/perture, you can find him at Pied…
Meet concessionaire Mary Kate Lewis- she loves to mix it up with her hair color and style!
Meet projectionist Tori Lancaster- when not at a/perture, she's busy at UNCSA Film School pursuing a degree in Design and Production!
Meet assistant manager Brian Allred- he's new to Winston-Salem, but brings some mad flute skills with him!
Meet concessionaire Jay Mikush -- when he's not working behind the counter, he's piloting small aircraft or mixing it up as a DJ!
Meet assistant manager Mack Matheson -- he's a classical kind of guy who tutors Latin when he's not projecting and keeping track of our booths!
Meet concessionaire Christine Norris -- she's an editor by trade and jumps behind the counter on weekends, we're glad to have an expert scribe…
Meet concessionaire Ricardo Garcia -- all the way from California, Ricky is a true movie fan and loves to talk shop.
Meet projectionist Daniel Padgett -- he's a skilled photographer and has already contributed some amazing photos of a/perture. Check out his f…
JOIN the a/v Society!
Your support and membership will help bring the finest independent, art, and foreign films to downtown Winston-Salem. Memberships are annual, assigned to individual members and may not be transferred. Memberships are not tax deductible. Admission discounts do not apply to online ticket purchases or certain special events.